ith the eleventh pick in the 2008 SBNation NBA Mock Draft, the Indiana Pacers, represented by Indy Cornrows, select ...
DJ Augustin, Point Guard, University of Texas. 5-11, 175 lbs.
Indy Cornrows says:
The Pacers need to shore up their point guard situation so picking Augustin appears to be a no brainer. My only reservation was the additional need for a big body and DeAndre Jordan sitting there for the taking. So, do you take the big and explore dealing for excess PGs (see Memphis and Chicago for starters) around the league? Or, do you take the safe pick at the point in Augustin then let the offseason wheeling and dealing begin?
I just can't shake the feeling that Jordan tilts more towards Michael Olowokandi than Dwight Howard and the Pacers just can't miss with this pick. They don't need to add an All-Star level, franchise player from the #11 pick, but they do need a guy who plays hard, will work hard, and fits Jim O'Brien's system. Check, check and check with DJ Augustin. The guy is a true point guard with a great handle. He can push the pace and knock down the open jumper.
Augustin's size and his ability to defend at the NBA level are where the risk lies in this pick. But since there isn't a player left without some risk, I feel safe betting on Augustin's skill level and work ethic to compensate for his shortcomings and adapt his game to the NBA.
The Sacramento Kings, represented by Sactown Royalty , are on the clock.
The 2008 SB Nation Mock Draft so far:
1. Chicago Bulls- Blog-A-Bull: Derrick Rose
2. Miami Heat- Peninsula is Mightier: Michael Beasley
3. Minnesota Timberwolves- Canis Hoopus: OJ Mayo
4. Seattle Supersonics- Ridiculous Upside: Eric Gordon
5. Memphis Grizzlies- 3 Shades of Blue: Kevin Love
6. New York Knicks- Posting and Toasting: Russell Westbrook
7. Los Angeles Clippers- Clips Nation: Jerryd Bayless
8. Milwaukee Bucks- BrewHoop: Anthony Randolph
9. Charlotte Bobcats- Queen City Hoops: Joe Alexander
10. New Jersey Nets-Nets Daily: Brook Lopez
11. Indiana Pacers-Indy Cornrows: DJ Augustin