With the sixteenth pick in the 2008 SBNation NBA Mock Draft, the Philadelphia 76ers, represented by Ridiculous Upside, select ...
Darrell Arthur, Power Forward, University of (k)ansas. 6-9, 215 lbs.
Ridiculous Upside says:
It seems like every time Matt and I discuss the draft, I end up talking about how well Darrell Arthur will fit on this team or that team. Well, now is on this blog, so it's official. Arthur is a logical choice here, though a argument could certainly be made for Donte Green or possibly a bigger guy like Robin Lopez or Alex Anjinca. Yet, I still think Arthur makes the most sense.
Sure, the Sixers played the surprisingly good Thaddeus Young a lot at the 4 last year. But that doesn't mean he is a 4. In fact, putting him on the wing next to Iggy (should they actually re-sign him and commit to him as their key player - which is dicey for many reasons) and the Sixers have a great slashing attack and some good, young perimeter defenders. Of course, neither is a great outside shooter, but at this point in the draft, those guys are not easy to find anyway, at least for a value pick at 16 - though Courtney Lee could stir quite an argument.
The two main inside guys for the Philly, Dalembert and Evans, are rebounding defenders first and put back scorers second. Arthur might have the most complete post offensive repetoire this side of Kevin Love and he is very athletic. He can get up and down with this flying Philly team, but will also be able to manufacture some tough points in the paint when Andre Miller decides to slow the game down. A big knock on Arthur is a consistent lack of effort and focus. I think that playing in a free-wheelin', uptempo offense with some experienced guys will be good for him. Plus, going against Dalembert in practice every day will surely make him a better player. Force the kid to focus and you have quite a weapon in a very ill-managed spot for the Sixers last year.
Now, let's just hope I'm right about all this. Matt is just waiting to murder me for this pick.
The Toronto Raptors, represented by The Dinosty, are on the clock.
The 2008 SB Nation Mock Draft so far:
1. Chicago Bulls- Blog-A-Bull: Derrick Rose
2. Miami Heat- Peninsula is Mightier: Michael Beasley
3. Minnesota Timberwolves- Canis Hoopus: OJ Mayo
4. Seattle Supersonics- Ridiculous Upside: Eric Gordon
5. Memphis Grizzlies- 3 Shades of Blue: Kevin Love
6. New York Knicks- Posting and Toasting: Russell Westbrook
7. Los Angeles Clippers- Clips Nation: Jerryd Bayless
8. Milwaukee Bucks- BrewHoop: Anthony Randolph
9. Charlotte Bobcats- Queen City Hoops: Joe Alexander
10. New Jersey Nets-Nets Daily: Brook Lopez
11. Indiana Pacers-Indy Cornrows: DJ Augustin
12. Sacramento Kings- Sactown Royalty: Marreese Speights
13. Portland Trailblazers-Blazers Edge: Brandon Rush
14. Golden State Warriors- Golden State of Mind: DeAndre Jordan
15. Phoenix Suns- Bright Side of the Sun: Danilo Gallinari
16. Philadelphia 76ers- Ridiculous Upside: Darrell Arthur