With the twentieth pick in the 2008 SBNation NBA Mock Draft, the Denver Nuggets, represented by PickAxe and Roll, select...
Mario Chalmers, Guard, University of (k)ansas. 6-1, 190 lbs.
PickAxe and Roll says:
Holy crap there are a lot of talented players on the board here. As difficult as it is to pass on a player with the potential of Donte Green, a powerful forward who is tremendous around the basket in J.J. Hickson and the French Foreign Legion of Nicolas Batum and workout wonder Alexis Ajinca I had to do it.
Everyone this side of Chucky Atkins knows the Nuggets need a point guard. Some of the most egregious blunders of drafts past have occurred when teams drafted for need and this is certainly early for Chalmers, but hear me out.
Since I am playing the role of everyone's dream job, the General Manager of the Denver Nuggets, I should share my goals for the upcoming season. It is very simple. I want to find a cheap upgrade at point guard and add players who can defend and shoot. Sounds easy doesn't it? Well, with the 20th pick it is because Mario Chalmers fits the bill on all three counts.
Chalmers is a solid defender and is great at playing the passing lanes to the tune of a career average of 2.6 steals a game and we all know the Nuggets need those steals to avoid having to play half court offense. He shot over 46% from behind the college three point line and over 51% from the field overall. Those are numbers that would make John Stockton envious…and put Anthony Carter out of a job.
The fact that he is either lucky or clutch, and I will gladly accept either one, seals the deal.
The New Jersey Nets, represented by NetsDaily, are on the clock.
The 2008 SB Nation Mock Draft so far:
1. Chicago Bulls- Blog-A-Bull: Derrick Rose
2. Miami Heat- Peninsula is Mightier: Michael Beasley
3. Minnesota Timberwolves- Canis Hoopus: OJ Mayo
4. Seattle Supersonics- Ridiculous Upside: Eric Gordon
5. Memphis Grizzlies- 3 Shades of Blue: Kevin Love
6. New York Knicks- Posting and Toasting: Russell Westbrook
7. Los Angeles Clippers- Clips Nation: Jerryd Bayless
8. Milwaukee Bucks- BrewHoop: Anthony Randolph
9. Charlotte Bobcats- Queen City Hoops: Joe Alexander
10. New Jersey Nets-Nets Daily: Brook Lopez
11. Indiana Pacers-Indy Cornrows: DJ Augustin
12. Sacramento Kings- Sactown Royalty: Marreese Speights
13. Portland Trailblazers-Blazers Edge: Brandon Rush
14. Golden State Warriors- Golden State of Mind: DeAndre Jordan
15. Phoenix Suns- Bright Side of the Sun: Danilo Gallinari
16. Philadelphia 76ers- Ridiculous Upside: Darrell Arthur
17. Toronto Raptors- The Dinosty: Chris Douglas Roberts
18. Washington Wizards- Bullets Forever: Roy Hibbert
19. Cleveland Cavaliers- Waiting For Next Year: Courtney Lee
20. Denver Nuggets- PickAxe and Roll: Mario Chalmers