While I haven't seen it announced, word on the street is Courtney Sims will be back with the Iowa Energy for tonight's game at home against the Fort Wayne Mad Ants.
Sims, who hasn't played a game of professional basketball aside from a one game stint in Russia before being replaced by Pops Mensah-Bonsu, is bound to be at least a bit out of basketball shape. Still, last season's D-League MVP will undoubtedly form the best front line in the D-League along with last seasons rookie of the year, Othyus Jeffers, and fellow former NBA big man Earl Barron.
UPDATE: Barron is apparently buying out of his contract to go play with Maccabi Tel-Aviv, according to Sham's Ports.
The other big addition is Johnson, the 6'9" power forward out of Florida State (Go 'Noles!) who was selected as the 45th overall pick in the 2006 NBA draft. Johnson joined the D-League player pool yesterday and with the Sioux Falls Skyforce having the top pick from the pool, I'd expect Johnson to soon be moving to Sioux Falls. If they pass, Rio Grande Valley has the second choice. The furthest I would guess he falls is to sixth at the Reno Bighorns because the third team and fourth teams on the waiver wire, the Iowa Energy and Reno Bighorns, are strong enough up front and Bakersfield has presumably already added too many players.
Who else is in the D-League that's played on at least an NBA Summer League team and thus, on NBA radars? I present this to you after the jump, in alphabetical order.
- Lance Allred, Idaho Stampede.
- Alade Aminu, Erie BayHawks.
- Connor Atchley, Dakota Wizards.
- Earl Barron, Iowa Energy.
- Rod Benson, Reno Bighorns.
- John Bryant, Erie BayHawks.
- Marcus Campbell, Springfield Armor.
- John Edwards, Bakersfield Jam.
- Michael Fey, LA D-Fenders.
- DeVon Hardin, Tulsa 66ers.
- Dwayne Jones, Austin Toros.
- Rob Kurz, Fort Wayne Mad Ants.
- Kurt Looby, Albuquerque Thunderbirds.
- Luke Nevill, Utah Flash.
- Chris Richard, Tulsa 66ers.
- Roderick Riley, Austin Toros.
- Diamon Simpson, LA D-Fenders.
- Greg Stiemsma, Sioux Falls Skyforce.
- Raymond Sykes, Sioux Falls Skyforce.
- Doug Thomas, Reno Bighorns.
- Cezary Trybanski, Reno Bighorns.
- Cory Underwood, Idaho Stampede.