Coby Karl did enough to earn a call-up to the Denver Nuggets from the NBA Development League last season and then played well for the team's entry in the Vegas Summer League, but all of that apparently wasn't enough to keep a job with the Nuggets according to a report from Aol FanHouse's Chris Tomasson.
Sources said Tuesday that Denver coach George Karl is expecting his son, Nuggets point guard Coby Karl, to be waived by a Sunday deadline in which his contract would become fully guaranteed for next season.
The versatile point guard averaged 19.3 points, 6.0 rebounds and 4.9 assists for the Idaho Stampede between call-ups with the Nuggets and Golden State Warriors.
Because George Karl, who declined an interview request Tuesday, expects his son to be waived, sources said he's already sending out feelers to find other teams that might want to sign him. The Coby Karl contract that the Nuggets can get out of is one for the minimum of $854,389.
Of course that salary amount isn't anything substantial in the grand scheme of things and Karl deserves an NBA roster spot next season, but it seems he lost one of his supporters last week which led to this current predicament:
Then Nuggets vice president of basketball operations Mark Warkentien played a key role in last April's signing of Coby Karl when George Karl was battling a form of throat cancer, but Warkentien was let go last week by Denver.
This is what happens when that happens, Nuggets fans.
Of course Karl could return to the Nuggets on a non-guaranteed contract, but he probably deserves a more solid opportunity if he's going to give the NBA another shot next season.