With the twenty eighth pick in the 2008 SBNation NBA Mock Draft, the Memphis Grizzlies, represented by 3 Shades of Blue, select...
Bil Walker, Small Forward, Kansas State University. 6-6, 226 lbs.
3 Shades of Blue says:
Yeah, we know that he has the kind of knees that make fans think of Brian Cardinal and "Big Country" Bryant Reeves (both cringe-worthy of the highest order), but he's also got talent and upside. We thought about D.J. White (Indiana University), Sergei Ibaka (CB L'Hospitalet), DeVon Hardin (California) or even Nathan Jawai (Cairns Taipan), but other than Ibaka, they all have one flaw: they are what they are going to be. Walker still has the potential to be more, though.
Coming out of high school, most NBA scouts predicted that he would be a better pro than his heralded teammate....one O.J. Mayo. Two knee surgeries later and he can barely crack the 1st round. If any team in the 1st round (other than the witchcraft-using Pistons) should take him, it is the Grizzlies. This is especially true for a team that desperately needs depth at the swing positions. Walker's strong points (intelligence, athleticism) cannot be taught and his former coaches have described him as a willing student of the game who wants to get better at all facets of the game. Some people complained when we didn't take a chance with the #5 pick and "went safe" with Kevin Love. Well, here's our risky pick and we think it is a risk worth taking.
The Detroit Pistons, represented by Detroit Bad Boys, are on the clock.
The 2008 SB Nation Mock Draft so far:
1. Chicago Bulls- Blog-A-Bull: Derrick Rose
2. Miami Heat- Peninsula is Mightier: Michael Beasley
3. Minnesota Timberwolves- Canis Hoopus: OJ Mayo
4. Seattle Supersonics- Ridiculous Upside: Eric Gordon
5. Memphis Grizzlies- 3 Shades of Blue: Kevin Love
6. New York Knicks- Posting and Toasting: Russell Westbrook
7. Los Angeles Clippers- Clips Nation: Jerryd Bayless
8. Milwaukee Bucks- BrewHoop: Anthony Randolph
9. Charlotte Bobcats- Queen City Hoops: Joe Alexander
10. New Jersey Nets-Nets Daily: Brook Lopez
11. Indiana Pacers-Indy Cornrows: DJ Augustin
12. Sacramento Kings- Sactown Royalty: Marreese Speights
13. Portland Trailblazers-Blazers Edge: Brandon Rush
14. Golden State Warriors- Golden State of Mind: DeAndre Jordan
15. Phoenix Suns- Bright Side of the Sun: Danilo Gallinari
16. Philadelphia 76ers- Ridiculous Upside: Darrell Arthur
17. Toronto Raptors- The Dinosty: Chris Douglas Roberts
18. Washington Wizards- Bullets Forever: Roy Hibbert
19. Cleveland Cavaliers- Waiting For Next Year: Courtney Lee
20. Denver Nuggets- PickAxe and Roll: Mario Chalmers
21. New Jersey Nets- Nets Daily: Donte Green
22. Orlando Magic- Third Quarter Collapse: Kosta Koufos
23. Utah Jazz- SLC Dunk: Jason Thompson
24. Seattle Supersonics- Ridiculous Upside: Robin Lopez
25. Houston Rockets- The Dream Shake: Nicolas Batum
26. San Antonio Spurs- Ridiculous Upside: JaVale McGee
27. New Orleans Hornets- At The Hive: Ryan Anderson
28. Memphis Grizzlies- 3 Shades of Blue: Bill Walker